Belly fat is one of those things that cause two major things to people: One, a huge embarrassment, and two, very serious health issues.
It pulls the confidence levels of people to such low ebbs that venturing out in the public seems to be the next impossible thing.
The fat in the belly sticks to one’s body so tightly that getting rid of it becomes a herculean task.
Performing the right kind of workouts regularly with the required count will help our body cope with belly fat in the perfect manner.
Best workouts to lose belly fat
Many of us fail in doing the workouts to lose belly fat mainly because we are not aware of the proper methods to do it.
We either feel shy or often withdraw to ask others about the workouts to get those sexy flat abs.
For such people among us and all the others, we provide here some workouts to reduce belly fat that can be performed right from the comfort of your own home. These exercises will help you shed excess fat and promote weight loss.
Which other workouts to lose belly fat can be more effective than crunches?
Crunches are one of the universally recognized abs workouts to lose belly fat.
Crunches activate your abdominal muscles and target all the muscles of the core, thereby giving you strong and firm abs upon regular practice.
Moreover, it’s easy to do at any time and in any place.
How to do Crunches
Follow the below-given steps to perform crunches to get rid of the fat from your tummy.
- Lie down flat on your back on a floor mat.
- Lift your head from behind using both your hands.
- Lift both your legs at 90 degrees.
- Inhale deeply as you lift your legs and exhale holding the position.
- Lower your torso and legs back to normal positions.
Repeat the steps 10-15 times per set for 3 sets if you are a beginner.
As you progress, you can increase the number of counts and sets thereon to suit your requirements.
Variations for Crunches
Crunches can be done in different variations as per the assessment carried out by the professional Trainer.
Some common variations are Butterfly crunch, Side and Shoulder press crunch, and Dumbbell Crossover crunch.
Here are some tips to do crunches in the appropriate way to get the best of the results.
- Do not lift your head without supporting it with your hands.
- Do not sit straight all of a sudden. Lift your torso in a gradual manner so that your lower back doesn’t get hurt.
- Ensure you lift your torso to a maximum of 40%. It is during this posture that you will feel the pressure in your abdomen which is the indication that the belly fat is burning.
2. Twist Crunch
Twist crunch is another most important variation in crunches.
As the very name suggests, this workout is performed with a little twist to the basic crunch.
Twist crunches are a great way to achieve flat abs quickly.
How to do Twist Crunches
- Take the posture of the basic crunch.
- Support your head with your hands.
- Lift just your right shoulder without lifting the torso.
- Touch your left knee with your right elbow. (Ensure not to lift your complete torso at any point in time).
- Workout the same with the opposite set of elbow and knees.
Repeat this 10 to 15 times if you are a beginner and increase the count as you progress
3. Side Crunch
Side crunches are also the best of the workouts to lose belly fat.
The side crunches are different from the basic and twist crunch.
When you perform side crunches, the fat accumulated in the side portion of your belly gets burnt up quickly.
How to do Side Crunches
To perform side crunches:
- Lie down on the floor, flat on your back.
- Turn both your legs towards one side of the body.
- Supporting the back of your head with your hands, lift your torso and head towards the side where your legs are facing.
Repeat 10 to 15 times. Once done, change over to the other side and follow the steps.
Complete 3 sets.
You may slowly increase the count and the number of sets as you progress.
As a precaution, while working out the side crunches ensure you workout side crunches at a slow and steady pace.
Keep in mind that your mid-section cannot handle speedy heavy movements.
Therefore, carry on with the twist in a mild manner so it does not hurt your mid-section
4. Vertical Leg Crunch
Vertical leg crunch is one of the ab workouts that should be done very carefully.
It is a great exercise for both your legs and belly.
How to do vertical leg Crunches
- Lie down with your back flat on the floor.
- Lift and extend your legs as high as possible to face the ceiling.
- Cross one leg over the other retaining them in the same position.
- Breathe in as you lift the torso away from the flat surface you are lying on.
- Breathe out as you reach back your original crunch position.
Repeat the workout 10 to 15 times for 3 sets.
5. Reverse Crunch
The Reverse crunch is one of the most effective workouts to lose belly fat at a faster rate.
Furthermore, reverse crunches strengthen your core and improve your lower back stability. So, adding reverse crunches to your workout not only helps in losing belly fat but also gives great back support.
In simple words, we can consider that reverse crunch is a basic core strengthening exercise that also improves stability throughout the lower back.
How to do reverse Crunches
To perform reverse crunches,
- Lie down on your back on a flat surface.
- Have both your hands stretched on your side parallel to eachother.
- Bend your legs and lift them together. Just ensure that you lift the bent legs together to your chest level.
- Bring them back to the original position in a slowly.
Just try to complete 15 reverse crunches every set for 3 sets with 90 seconds break in between the sets.
While performing reverse crunches avoid arching your spine while performing reverse crunches.
Having your back straight will safeguard it from getting hurt.
6. Lunge Twist
Lunge Twist is great for beginners who aspire for a flat belly.
This workout is being done in a standing position, unlike Crunches which are performed in a lying down posture.
How to do lunge twist
- Keep both your legs in a hip-distance apart.
- Bend your knees slowly and lift your hands straight so they are parallel to the ground and to each other. Doing so, be mindful that your hands are in straight line with your shoulder height.
- Now, move your right leg forward and bend it to 90 degrees.
- Meanwhile, let your left leg be fully bent and stretched behind you supported completely by your toes
- Now, twist your torso to your right as much as you can without stressing your waist to its limits.
- Now alternate your legs steadily and twist your torso to the left this time.
- Repeat the steps.
You can do perform lunge twists 10 to 15 times on each side for 3 sets as a beginner.
7. Bicycle Crunch
The last workout but the simplest one on the list is the Bicycle crunch.
As the name itself suggests the exercise is very similar to riding a bicycle. It’s also called a Bicycle exercise.
Make sure you add it to your abs workout and get a flat stomach.
How to do bicycle crunches
- Lie down on the floor flat on your back.
- You may choose to have your hands support your head or by your side fully stretched out.
- Bend your legs from the knees.
- Push your right leg farther away from your chest while pulling your left leg close to the chest. As a repetitive action, push your left leg farther away immediately from your chest while pulling your right leg close to your chest. In simple terms, perform the pedaling act as you do while riding a bicycle
You can also improve the workout by touching your right knee with your left elbow and vice versa.
Repeat the exercise 10 to 15 times alternating each side slowly and steadily.
The Bottom Line
It is good to aspire for belly fat reduction.
However, it is equally important to go through the right channel and understand the proper methodology to perform the workouts to lose belly fat.
Make sure to incorporate the below tips to help you work out in an appropriate and safe way to get rid of your belly fat.
- Before deciding on the exercises you want to go in for, consult with a professional trainer on the probable ones that will best suit your bodily requirements.
- Perform the recommended workouts in a regularly on fixed timings.
- Ensure you perform every workout learning the right way to perform the same from a genuine trained resource.
- Perform every work out slowly and steadily. Avoid rushing during the workouts since this may cause unanticipated damages instead of yielding positive results.
- If diet restrictions are recommended hand in hand with exercising, follow it sincerely.
- Do not give up in between. CONSISTENCY is the key.
Now that you know the different workouts to lose belly fat, So why wait?
Drive that embarrassing fat away from your belly by exercising the above-mentioned workouts regularly with utmost dedication.
Exercising at fixed periodicity will help you communicate with your body in a precise manner. Your body will then start co-operating for all your efforts in the perfect way to kill the belly fat that has accumulated inside you.