If you have been searching for the best exercises to lose belly fat or something like that for quite some time, then your search ends here.
In this post, we will walk you through some effective ways to trim those extra pounds around your tummy.
Belly fat is one of the common trouble areas for a lot of women.
It can be caused due to various reasons such as calorific intake, stress, pregnancy and childbirth, sleeping schedule, and your overall lifestyle.
Carrying too much fat around your tummy not only looks odd, but it is also harmful to your overall health.
Yes! With weight there comes an increased risk of serious health problems such as heart ailment, diabetes, hypertension, stroke, and much more.
And, of course, belly fat is very stubborn and damn hard to get rid of.
But fret not! You can blast away that excess belly pooch by implementing some simple changes in your lifestyle.
How to bid goodbye to Belly Fat
Arguably the best way to reduce belly fat is by exercising regularly and consuming a balanced diet.
But these two alone will not get your job done.
It is because belly fat is just beyond exercise and diet.
Belly fat depends on your overall lifestyle as well.
To put it in a nutshell, a well-balanced diet, an exercise routine, and a healthy lifestyle – are all you need to get rid of the excess fat.
And hence, following a healthy lifestyle is equally important as your diet and exercise.
However, remember that you cannot spot-reduce fat specifically from one area like the belly, thighs, or arms.
It will not work that way.
Thus, if you want to lose fat from a particular area of the body, then you will have to reduce your overall body fat.
The best part is that you don’t have to hit the gym or starve yourself to get a flat stomach.
Yes, you read it very right!
All you need is strong commitment and dedication to achieve those sculpted abs.
Plus, these workouts hardly take less than 30-45 minutes which must suit even the busiest people.
So without any further adieu, let’s get started.
Exercises to lose Belly Fat
Fitness can change your overall look to the next level.
So, it’s always worth all of your efforts.
We have shortlisted a few simple exercises to lose belly fat that you can practice right from the comfort of your home.
We hope you enjoy our roundup of these best exercises to lose belly fat.
1. Flutter Kicks
Flutter kicks are a simple yet killer workout to melt away those belly pooch around your tummy.
They work on core muscles, specifically the lower abdominal muscles and the hip flexors.
Apart from trimming fat, they are also incredibly effective in reshaping and toning your lower body.
How to do Flutter Kicks
- Lie on your back with your legs straight and your arms alongside your hips with palms facing down.
- You can either place your hands at your side or underneath your buttocks – place it according to your convenience.
- Keep your legs straight and lift both your legs a few inches off the floor. Tighten your abs to keep your back from over bending or arching. This is your starting position.
- While keeping your legs straight, raise one leg slightly higher while lowering the other making a flutter kick motion. Meanwhile, your back should be firm on the ground.
- Then lower that leg while raising the other. This counts as one repetition.
- While maintaining your alignment, alternatively lift one leg and lower the other for several repetitions.
To make it more challenging:
Lift your head and neck off the floor, making sure to keep your back in a straight line.
2. Mountain Climbers
Mountain climbers are one of the best exercises to lose belly fat as it works your core and can target major muscle groups.
It improves your mobility and strengthens your core.
Besides, as it involves plyometric movement it gets your heart pumping and improves cardiovascular fitness.
How to do Mountain Climbers
- Get into a high-plank position with your wrists directly under your shoulders.
- Keep your body straight from head to heels.
- Bend your right knee and drive it towards your chest and then bring it back to plank.
- Then, drive your left knee towards your chest and bring it back.
- Continue to alternate sides and repeat for 45 seconds to a minute.
3. Butt Bridge
Butt Bridge is a full-body workout that will enhance your core stability by targeting your gluteal muscles, the core of the body, lower back, and hips.
Butt Bridge mainly targets your bum, but it engages your abdominal muscles as well.
Hence, it is considered one of the all-time best exercises to lose belly fat.
Overall, Butt Bridge is an excellent addition to any workout routine, and it is super easy well.
How to do Butt Bridge
- Start by lying on your back with your hands at your sides.
- Bend your knees with feet flat on the floor under your knees.
- Squeeze your core muscles and glutes before you lift your hips off the floor. This is your starting position.
- Raise your butt and hips a few inches off the floor while your head and shoulders stay grounded. Your body should create a straight diagonal line from your knees to shoulders.
- Hold for 20 to 30 seconds, and then return to your starting position.
- Perform 3 sets of 15-20 reps.
4. Seated Knee Tucks
If you are trying to build six-pack abs or just increase your core strength, then Seated Knee Tucks is the go-to exercise for you.
Seated knee tucks are a firehouse for abs and oblique muscles.
This exercise targets your abdominal muscles and will help you build a stronger core.
They mainly emphasize your lower abs, hip flexors, and quads.
You can feel the burning perfectly as you are doing practicing this exercise.
The workout is a little harder to do, but it is one of the most effective exercises to lose belly fat.
How to do Seated Knee Tucks
- Sit on the floor with your legs fully extended out in front of you (You can also perform it on a sturdy bench or chair).
- Place your palms on the floor beside you with fingers facing forward for support.
- Bend your legs and bring your knees towards your chest.
- Lift both feet off the floor and lean back at a roughly 45-degree angle with your back straight. Exhale as you do this.
- Now, slowly extend your legs out without touching the floor and move your upper body downwards towards the ground.
- Squeeze your abs hard and slowly return to the starting position.
- Breathe out and contract your core while bending your knee towards your chest. Breathe in and loosen your core while extending your legs out.
- Depending on your core strength, repeat this motion for 10-20 reps of seated knee tucks for 3-4 sets.
The only advice while practicing this exercise is to perform it slowly at a steady pace.
When you perform this workout correctly, it can effectively target your core and waist.
The slower you do, the more effective it will be.
Also, doing something quickly or improperly can hurt your back or spine.
So, don’t rush and end up hurting yourselves.
5. Bicycle Crunches
Bicycle crunches are great for blasting that belly fat off your body because they engage all of your core muscles.
Bicycle crunches target your lower, middle, and upper abs while strengthening your quads and hamstrings.
How to do Bicycle Crunches
- Lie down on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the ground.
- Bring your hands behind your head. You can either interlace your fingers behind the head or simply place your fingertips behind your head.
- Lift your legs off the floor and bring your knees in towards your chest.
- Now slowly lift your upper body with shoulder blades off the ground. Ensure not to strain your neck. This will be your starting position.
- Straighten your right leg by extending out while drawing your right elbow towards the left knee. Make sure your upper body is moving and not just your elbows.
- Inhale and as you exhale, reverse the movement and repeat on the other side.
- Now, switch sides and repeat the same movement on the other side to complete one rep.
- Do three sets of 20 reps.
If you have some neck injuries or are afraid of straining your neck, then lift your neck off the ground, and keep it still while performing the exercise.
Overall, bicycle crunches are one of the terrific crunches exercises to lose belly fat as it works both the abs and obliques.
Focus on doing this exercise slowly in control so that you’re engaging all core muscles.
6. Russian Twist
The Russian twist is an effective core-strengthening movement that targets the obliques and abdominals.
This move works both on the belly and sides simultaneously and thus it’s great for sculpting your sides as well.
It engages all the abdomen muscles and strengthens the rectus abdominis, internal obliques, and external obliques.
By doing this exercise regularly, you also get a stronger core with improved flexibility in addition to a trimmer abdomen.
Therefore, add this to your daily fitness regimen to burn calories and stay in better shape.
How to do Russian twist
- Sit down on the floor with both your knees slightly bent and heels pressed on the floor.
- Now slowly lean back slightly and lift your legs off the ground so that your torso and legs form a V-shape.
- Bring your hands together and interlace your fingers and hold them in front of the chest. Ensure that the back is straight and not curved. This is your starting position.
- Pull in your abs and now, twist your upper body to the right, and then reverse the motion by twisting it to the left. This completes a rep.
- Keep twisting your torso from side to side without moving your legs. It is important to rotate the entire torso with your arm. Move slowly and continue breathing. Inhale at the center and exhale on the sides.
- Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
7. Jumping jacks
Jumping jacks are one of the fun and energizing full-body workouts that work on every part of your body.
Besides benefitting the heart, lungs, and mind, it also helps to destress by releasing happy hormones.
Overall, jumping jacks has a wide range of health benefits, and they’re easier to do.
So, make sure to include this in the list of exercises to lose belly fat and have fun.
How to do Jumping Jacks
- Stand straight with your legs together and arms down at your sides. This marks your starting position.
- Jump up by spreading your feet about shoulder-width apart while bringing your arms above your head as if they are almost clapping.
- Jump again by lowering your arms and bringing your legs together to return to the starting position. This completes one rep.
- Do as many reps as possible for a minute.
8. Superman Exercise
Are you looking for one of the simple yet effective exercises to lose belly fat? Then, this exercise is the one for you.
Anyone can almost perform this workout at ease.
The Superman exercise is an excellent bodyweight exercise for building stability and improving flexibility.
They work your glutes, hamstrings, lower back muscles meanwhile engaging your abs and core.
It’s a back workout that works on both the lower and upper body at the same time.
Above all, it’s super easy to do, and you can practice it anywhere.
All you need is just a flat surface to lie over.
How to do Superman Exercise
- Lie on your belly with legs fully extended and your arms outstretched in front of you. This marks your Starting Position.
- Lift both arms and legs off the floor about 5 to 6 inches off the ground (or as far as you comfortably can).
- Hold on for 3-5 seconds.
- Slowly lower your limbs and return to the starting position, and repeat.
- Inhale as you lift your limbs off the floor. And exhale when you return to starting position.
- Also, pull your abs in keeping your core tight as you lift your arms and legs.
- Keep your neck neutral by facing towards the floor.
- Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
If you feel difficult to practice this workout, you can start by lifting one leg and hand at a time.
Try lifting your right leg and your left arm at the same time and then vice versa.
Pushups are a fast and effective exercise for building strength and are a great total body workout.
They work on a lot of muscles, thus helping you burn more calories within a short period.
Whether you can do half or full pushups, doing it every day will help you gain upper body strength and be more fit overall.
Plus, it can be done anywhere and has a ton of variations to liven things up.
How to do pushups
- Get on all fours, positioning your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Extend your legs back and balance your body on your palms and toes. In this position, your body should form a straight line from head to toe. This is your starting position. Do not arch your back or let your body sag down.
- Squeeze your abs and tighten your core by pulling your belly button towards your spine. Keep a tight core throughout the entire pushup.
- Inhale and slowly lower your body toward the floor until your elbows are at a 90-degree angle. Keep your elbows relatively close to your body.
- Exhale and push yourself back up by extending your hands and return to the starting position. Don’t lock out the elbows. Keep them slightly bent.
- Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps or as much as you can.
10. Straight-Arm Plank
Plank is one of the most effective bodyweight exercises to lose belly fat and tone your muscles.
Moreover, they also help you develop isometric strength in your core muscles and improve your flexibility.
This, in turn, prevents your back from hunching while standing or sitting for extended periods.
Besides, it is simple to do, requires no equipment, and can be performed just about anywhere.
How to do Straight-Arm Plank
- Lie face down.
- Get on all fours by keeping your palms and toes planted firmly on the ground.
- Keep your whole body straight. It should not be too arched. Arching your back and sagging your hips can result in lower back pain. So, make sure to keep your body in the correct form.
- Hold on for as long as you can. Take a break and then repeat a few more times.
- Try to extend the time in this pose each day. Start with 15-30 secs and increase it gradually every day.
Another variation: Forearm Plank
Lower down to your forearms with elbows bent directly under shoulders and palms flat on the floor.
Keep your body in the same form as a straight arm plank and repeat the steps.
11. Cardio and Aerobic Exercises
If you don’t like the above exercises, you can incorporate simple aerobic exercises or cardio into your daily routine.
Doing aerobic exercises for at least 30 minutes every day helps in burning off visceral fat at ease.
Some of the great cardio or aerobic exercises for belly fat include:
Walking (Brisk Walking):
Going for a brisk walk for about 30 to 45 minutes every day is great for weight loss and your overall health.
Plus, it does wonders for your mental health, as well as helps to unwind after a hectic day.
Running is the best way to lose weight from everywhere, including your belly.
Running is the healthy and fastest way of losing those extra pounds.
Hence, make it a habit to start running and torch that extra fat!
Cycling is an amazing exercise for your whole body and great for your overall fitness.
Swimming is a whole-body workout that not only burns those extra calories but also tones your body.
Zumba is a fitness program that is a blend of aerobics and high-low-intensity dance moves on popular music (mainly Latin American music).
This exercise is great for people who love dancing or music.
It is fun to do and at the same time burns a ton of calories without you even realizing it.
Always listen to your body.
Don’t push yourself to the extreme.
Just be consistent, and that will do.
Also, if you feel any sharp pains or discomfort while performing any of the workouts, then back off.
The chances are that you are doing it wrongly.
Talk to your fitness trainer, and they might be of help to you.
If the pain lasts for more than a day, then kindly visit a doctor at the earliest.
Exercise alone won’t help you lose weight if your diet is unhealthy or imbalanced.
Diet and exercise both play a prominent role when it comes to losing weight.
These wholesome foods will not only keep you fit but also healthy.
Avoid sugary and junk food.
Consume enough water to stay hydrated and healthy.
Apart from having a clean diet, eating the right amount is crucial as well.
A lot of people eat healthy food but still gain fat because their portions are too large.
Having said this, don’t eat less and starve yourself.
Just mind your portions and eat the right amount.
To sum it up, a combination of a balanced diet and exercise will help get you where you need to be.
The Bottom Line
There is no magic pill or secret exercise to lose belly fat quickly.
You didn’t accumulate that belly fat in a day. Right?
Likewise, you can’t get rid of those extra pounds in a day. Bitter truth!
It will take some time to see the results, and that too if you are consistent with your diet and exercise only.
Thus, put in some effort and stay committed to your fitness goals to slim down your waistline.
Also, stick to the workout you enjoy doing the most.
This way, you will be more motivated and will look forward to your exercise routine.